The Church of San Polo
The romantic parish church was built in the 11th century, its first roots date back even further. A perfectly sustained fresco cycle from the High Middle Ages decorate the central nave of the beautiful Pieve di San Polo.
The church of San Polo is situated on the border between Siena and Florence.
Because of the constant battles between these two cities, the church, along with its adjoining housing unit, the courtyard with its cistern and the church tower were fortified in the 13th century.
Three naves in the church fortress
In its function as a fortress, the bell tower was used as a watchtower, to observe the enemy from Seina to the south.
The church was originally built as a triple nave basilica in the romantic style, complete with typical pitched roof.
After the truss fire in the 13th century, it was reconstructed in a gothic style in 1351. The church and its roofing construction of gothic cross vaults, have been preserved from this period.
Church with significant frescos
The vaulted ceiling in the main nave is decorated with outstanding frescos.
They are the work of the artists from San Gimignano from the year 1367 and portray the life of Christ.
Wedding ceremonies and concerts
The small, but fully functional organ from the late 18th century provides musical accompaniment for celebrations.
Weddings and christenings are among the special occasions for which the church offers the perfect setting.
Meanwhile, the regularly held concerts and musical synergies of the Officina della Musica fill the church with wonderful music.