For centuries, the area was fought over by the rival republics of Siena and Florence. The Castello was an important strategic outpost of the Florentines. The Romanesque parish church was mentioned first in 1070.
During the 13th century the church and the adjoining rectory, the courtyard with its cistern and even the church tower were converted into a fortified castle.
The Barons of Ricasoli resided here until they sold the entire complex to the current owners in 1974.
San Polo is where they fulfilled their dream, lovingly and patiently restoring the castle and church, the 18th century villa, the surrounding medieval farmhouses and the 22 hectares of pristine vineyards.